There are a number of ways to find matches in Analyst's Notebook, so it is useful to understand when a particular feature might be suitable for the needs of your investigation.
Find matching entities
- Is available to use in both Analyst's Notebook and Analyst's Notebook Premium.
- Works with entity chart items.
- Finds matches by examining item Property values. The Properties of entities with data records are automatically populated by the appropriate data record property values.
- Finds matches using pre-defined algorithms, not rules created by the user.
- Presents matching entities in a Matched Set panel. Members of the selected set are displayed in a diagram and given a score to indicate the strength of the entity match. A Card containing a summary of the match is displayed when the link is clicked.
- Users can choose to Merge the entities or add a link to connect the matching entities on the chart.
You should use Find Matching Entities when your chart contains just Analyst's Notebook entities, or a combination of these and i2 Analyze entity records. Although Find Matching Records is available, only i2 Analyze entity records on the chart are compared with each other. The other chart entities are not considered in the search. For more information, see Find matching entities.
Find matching records
- Is available to use in Analyst's Notebook Premium.
- Works with data records contained in Entity and Link chart items.
- Finds matches by examining data record Property values.
- Finds matches using Match Rules. There are a common set of rules defined by the system administrator and users can create their own rules. Users can choose to activate all, none or some rules. The system rules cannot be edited or deleted.
- Users can choose to Unite or Merge entity records, this is configured in the Find Matching Records Options dialog. The Merge Records option can also be used to merge links between the same end records.
You should use Find Matching Records when you are working with i2 Analyze entity and link records. For more information, see Find matching records.