Connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server database
Before connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server database you must have access to the server on which the database is running.
- In iBridge Designer, select New from the File menu to display the Provider page of the Data Link Properties dialog.
- Select Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server from the list of OLE DB providers and click Next to display the Connection page of the Data Link Properties dialog.
- Select the server name you require from the drop-down list. If it does not appear in the list, try clicking Refresh. If it still does not appear, you can enter the name.
Enter the required server logon information:
- Use Windows NT Integrated security
- This option will use the Windows XP or Windows 2000 user name and password. The analysts will not be required to specify a user name and password when connecting to the database from within i2 Analyst’s Notebook.
- Use a specific user name and password
- If you select this option you need only enter the user name and password into this dialog if you want to test the connection or if you want the database list to be populated. However, the analysts will be required to enter a user name and password when connecting to the database from within Analyst’s Notebook.
- Select the name of the database. If the database is not listed, type in the database name.
If you have entered a user name and password here you can test the connection
by clicking Test Connection.
If you do not want the analysts to be prompted for a user name and password, turn on Allow saving password. This has security implications because the user name and password are stored in the configuration file. When this check box is turned off you will also be prompted for a user name and password, so you may want to want to work with the check box turned on and then turn it off before you release the configuration to analysts.Note: The user name and password that you use when defining the configuration must have the same access rights as the user name that the analysts will use when opening the configuration file in Analyst’s Notebook. This will ensure that you see exactly the same tables and fields as the analysts.
- Click OK.
- When the Select New Configuration File dialog appears, enter a name for the configuration file and click Save.
If you have not turned on Allow saving password you will
be prompted for your user name and password. Enter these details in the dialog
and click OK.
When you have set up your initial connection to the database, iBridge Designer allows you to define a parameterized connection using the Edit Connection command on the Tools menu.
If you encounter any problems connecting to your Microsoft SQL Server database, contact your Database Administrator.