Operating on layers
You can use the Layers tab in the Map window to analyze or focus on particular aspects of geospatial data. For example, you can hide or delete layers; or you might select the contents of a layer to do further analysis.
- Click the top of the Layers tab.
Layers are stored in layer groups in the Layers tab.
- Click the Expand arrow.
- Double-click a layer in the Layers tab.
If the layer contains graphics, chart items, or query results, they are selected. Everything that is not in the layer is removed from the selection, and the map pans and zooms to the extents of the layer.Note: To toggle the selection of everything in a layer, press Ctrl and double-click the layer. To add everything in the layer to the existing selection, press Shift and double-click.
- Click the View icon next to the layer in the Layers tab to toggle its visibility.
- Hover over the layer and click the Delete icon next to the layer in the Layers tab.
- In the Map window, right-click an item, and select Bring Item to Front Within Layer or Send Item to Back Within Layer.
Note: You can reorder items only within the drawings layer, chart item layers, and query results layers.
- Right-click an item within a layer, and select Bring Layer to Front or Send Layer to Back.
Note: You can reorder only the drawings layer, the chart item layer group, and the query results layer group. Maps are displayed in the order they are added to the Map window, which is the same as the order as they are stacked in the Layers tab. To move a map to the top, you must delete the map and add it again.